Tuesday, February 17, 2026
NewsCenta
  • News
    • Politics
    • Local
    • Education
    • Agriculture
    • World
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrities
    • Music
  • Lifestyle
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Opinion
  • Newscenta Newspaper
No Result
View All Result
NewsCenta
  • News
    • Politics
    • Local
    • Education
    • Agriculture
    • World
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrities
    • Music
  • Lifestyle
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Opinion
  • Newscenta Newspaper
No Result
View All Result
NewsCenta
No Result
View All Result

Restore old cocoa price – Oppong Nkrumah to Mahama

Former Information Minister urges government to reinstate previous cocoa producer price amid farmer concerns

NewsCenta by NewsCenta
February 17, 2026
in Local
0
Cocoa price Nkrumah

Kojo Oppong Nkrumah

Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The cocoa crisis deepened in Parliament as the Minority caucus mounted a fierce challenge against the Mahama administration’s decision to slash producer prices, accusing the government of mismanagement, policy inconsistency, and political deception, while neighbouring Côte d’Ivoire maintains its producer price, shielding its farmers from similar shocks.

The Minority’s demand for an immediate reversal of the price cut was formally delivered on the floor of Parliament by Kojo Oppong Nkrumah, the Member of Parliament for Ofoase-Ayirebi, following a statement read by the Minority Leader condemning the government’s handling of the cocoa sector.

You might also like

Gold smuggling GoldBod billion loss profit-making Gyamfi licences

GoldBod suspends new gold buying licences applications

February 17, 2026
Chief Justice law

Chief Justice urges law students to uphold integrity, discipline

February 17, 2026

The price reduction, which cut the farmgate price from GH¢3,625 per 64kg bag to GH¢2,587, has triggered widespread anger across cocoa-growing regions, with farmers describing the decision as economically devastating and socially destructive.

The Ranking Member on the Committee of Economy and Development, Kojo Oppong Nkrumah, speaking on behalf of cocoa-growing communities, urged Cabinet to urgently reconvene—not to defend the decision—but to reverse it entirely.

He argued that the National Democratic Congress government had shown it could act swiftly to cut prices and must now show the same urgency to restore them.

“Just as Cabinet convened on an emergency basis to announce a reduction in the prices, we are asking Cabinet to reconvene and restore the bag price to GH¢3,625,” he told the House, framing the issue not as technical economics but as a humanitarian crisis.

“For those of us from cocoa-growing villages, this is not a matter of FOB percentages, 70 percent, 90 percent, or technical jargon. This is a matter of life and death for many cocoa farmers,” he declared.

To humanise the impact, Oppong Nkrumah recounted a call he received from a purchasing clerk, Kofi, from a community in his constituency. Kofi had already mobilised and deposited 200 bags of cocoa at the old price for evacuation. Following the price cut, farmers were informed that because COCOBOD had not evacuated the cocoa, the beans would now be purchased at the new, lower price.

The result, he said, was an instant loss of nearly GH¢200,000 for one small-scale local buyer.

“How many of us here—Members of Parliament, ministers of state—can suffer a loss of GH¢200,000 and survive?” Oppong Nkrumah asked. “This is not theory. This is real life. This is the destruction of livelihoods.”

He warned that the consequences would extend far beyond individual farmers, stressing that nearly one million Ghanaians depend directly on cocoa for their livelihoods. Cutting over GH¢1,000 from every bag, he argued, translates directly into rural poverty, collapsing household incomes, school dropouts, loan defaults, and economic stagnation in cocoa-growing communities.

Beyond the immediate hardship, the Minority also raised alarm about the long-term collapse of confidence in the cocoa policy framework.

Kojo Oppong Nkrumah warned that young people would lose interest in cocoa farming entirely, accelerating rural-urban migration and undermining the future of the sector. He further argued that trust in government policy had been fundamentally damaged.

“Who will believe new financing models? Who will trust local financing ideas when, in the same cocoa year, farmers were promised GH¢3,625 and then had it cut to GH¢2,500 before the season even ended?” he asked.

Drawing a historical contrast, he referenced the 2018–2019 cocoa season, when global cocoa prices fell sharply on the international market. Despite the downturn, the government at the time refused to cut producer prices and instead maintained and even increased farmer earnings, arguing that the farmer must be protected regardless of global volatility.

“We sat in Cabinet meetings where it was clearly stated that no government should look cocoa farmers in the eye and reduce their prices,” he said, noting that prices rose from about GH¢475 to over GH¢3,100 despite external market pressures.

The Minority rejected the government’s justification that the current crisis is driven by “external factors” and global price volatility, describing it as political deflection.

They accused the ruling NDC of blaming international conditions while ignoring domestic mismanagement, poor trading decisions, weak financial controls, and policy incoherence within the cocoa sector.

They further contrasted the situation with Côte d’Ivoire, the world’s largest cocoa producer, which has maintained its producer price framework despite global market fluctuations—protecting farmer incomes and preserving sector stability.

The Minority argued that the crisis is therefore not inevitable, but the result of governance failures rather than global forces.

The debate also revived campaign-era promises by NDC leaders, who, while in opposition, publicly argued that cocoa farmers were entitled to as much as GH¢6,500 per bag, describing lower prices as exploitation.

Oppong Nkrumah pointed out the contradiction: the same political actors who promised GH¢6,500 now defend a price of GH¢2,587.

“They promised GH¢6,500. They didn’t even achieve GH¢3,600. And now, they want to cut it to GH¢2,500. This is not reform. This is betrayal,” he said.

In his concluding appeal, Oppong Nkrumah framed the crisis not as a partisan contest, but as a national moral failure, urging the government to act in the interest of farmers rather than political survival.

Tags: CocoaCocoa producer priceCOCOBODGhana newsKojo Oppong NkrumahPresident John Dramani Mahama
NewsCenta

NewsCenta

Related Stories

Gold smuggling GoldBod billion loss profit-making Gyamfi licences

GoldBod suspends new gold buying licences applications

by NewsCenta
February 17, 2026
0

The Ghana Gold Board (GoldBod) has announced the immediate suspension of applications for selected categories of gold buying licences, signalling...

Chief Justice law

Chief Justice urges law students to uphold integrity, discipline

by NewsCenta
February 17, 2026
0

Chief Justice Paul Baffoe-Bonnie has urged law students to uphold integrity and discipline as fundamental principles in their professional journey....

U.S. visas Ghanaians

US open over 1,000 visa slots for Ghanaians

by NewsCenta
February 17, 2026
0

The United States Embassy in Accra has announced the immediate release of more than 1,000 interview slots for non-immigrant visas,...

Killer Police Zebilla

Suspected killer of Police Officer at Zebilla arrested

by NewsCenta
February 17, 2026
0

The Ghana Police Service has arrested a suspect in connection with the robbery and murder of a police officer at...

Recommended

Gold smuggling GoldBod billion loss profit-making Gyamfi licences

GoldBod suspends new gold buying licences applications

February 17, 2026
Chief Justice law

Chief Justice urges law students to uphold integrity, discipline

February 17, 2026
GRA UPSA

GRA pledges support to UPSA @60

February 17, 2026

Popular Story

  • Songs Daddy Lumba

    See the list of over 200 songs Daddy Lumba released

    752 shares
    Share 301 Tweet 188
  • The true story behind Ghana’s acceptance of deportees

    724 shares
    Share 290 Tweet 181
  • Gold-backed policies since 2021 driving economic gains — BoG

    718 shares
    Share 287 Tweet 180
  • Monday, May 26, 2025 Newspaper Headlines

    710 shares
    Share 284 Tweet 178
  • 10 of top 11 causes of death killing more men in Ghana

    704 shares
    Share 282 Tweet 176
NewsCenta

Newscenta is a Ghana-based news organisation publishing in print (The Newscenta Newspaper) and on a digital media platform (newscenta.com) dedicated to delivering timely and impactful news across various sectors, including politics, business, economy, technology, and culture.

  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Health
  • Education
  • Mining
  • Energy
  • Telecoms
  • Agriculture
  • Opinion
  • Newscenta Newspaper
  • Trade

© 2025 All Rights Reserved NewsCenta.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Politics
    • Local
    • World
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrities
    • Music
  • Lifestyle
  • Newspaper Headlines
  • Business
  • Agriculture
  • Education
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Opinion
  • Newscenta Newspaper

© 2025 All Rights Reserved NewsCenta.

Connect with us