Wednesday, February 18, 2026
NewsCenta
  • News
    • Politics
    • Local
    • Education
    • Agriculture
    • World
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrities
    • Music
  • Lifestyle
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Opinion
  • Newscenta Newspaper
No Result
View All Result
NewsCenta
  • News
    • Politics
    • Local
    • Education
    • Agriculture
    • World
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrities
    • Music
  • Lifestyle
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Opinion
  • Newscenta Newspaper
No Result
View All Result
NewsCenta
No Result
View All Result

Audit rejects GH¢3.6 billion from GH¢68.7 billion arrears claims

Auditor-General disallows GH¢3.6 billion in unsupported claims from government arrears totaling GH¢68.7 billion

NewsCenta by NewsCenta
July 24, 2025
in Business
0
Audit arrears 24-hour economy GH¢110m

Finance Minister Dr Cassiel Ato Forson

Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

An ongoing audit of Ghana’s arrears and payables as of the end of 2024 has led to the rejection of GH¢3.6 billion worth of claims.

The rejected amount was due to significant errors, duplicated submissions, and violations of the country’s Public Financial Management and Public Procurement rules.

You might also like

Government interest DDEP

Government pays GH¢10 billion interest under DDEP

February 18, 2026
GRA UPSA

GRA pledges support to UPSA @60

February 17, 2026

The audit exercise, which is being conducted by the Ghana Audit Service in partnership with renowned international firms Ernst & Young (EY) and PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC), was commissioned to assess and validate a total of GH¢68.7 billion in arrears accumulated by Ministries, Departments, and Agencies.

Minister of Finance, Dr Cassiel Ato Forson, disclosed this during the presentation of the 2025 Mid-Year Budget Review to Parliament.

87% of audit work completed

Providing an update on the progress of the exercise, Dr Ato Forson told Parliament that about 87% of the audit has so far been completed.

Of the amount reviewed, he said GH¢28.3 billion has been validated for payment.

However, he revealed that GH¢562.6 million in claims could not be confirmed due to the absence of adequate supporting documentation.

Dr Ato Forson added that a further GH¢27.3 billion remains under scrutiny, pending final validation.

According to the Minister, the audit will be concluded by the end of August 2025, at which point a full update on its findings and outcomes will be presented to Parliament and the public.

He reiterated the government’s commitment to transparency, adding that the audit forms part of broader efforts to improve fiscal governance and enhance accountability in public spending.

Weak controls, procurement lapses exposed

Dr Forson highlighted that the rejected GH¢3.6 billion underscores the extent of weaknesses in internal controls across various arms of government.

He stressed that the audit had exposed instances of duplicated payments, inconsistencies in data submissions, and frequent breaches of established procurement and financial reporting guidelines.

These findings, he noted, show that large sums of money would have been lost to the state had the validation process not been introduced.

The Minister said the government was determined to tighten controls, ensure compliance with public finance laws, and prevent similar occurrences in the future.

Audit Supports Broader Fiscal Reforms

The arrears audit is part of the government’s wider economic reform programme under the ongoing IMF-supported Extended Credit Facility.

It aligns with efforts to strengthen public financial management, improve cash flow forecasting, and enforce fiscal discipline.

Dr Forson said the process reflects growing investor confidence in the government’s economic strategy and commitment to transparent governance.

According to the Minister, the participation of internationally respected audit firms in the process has ensured that the review is being carried out to the highest professional standards, giving both domestic and external stakeholders confidence in the results.

Full disclosure after August

Dr Ato Forson pledged that once the final audit report is completed by the end of August 2025, the findings and implications will be made public.

He assured the House that the government will continue to protect the public purse and uphold principles of accountability, stating, “We will not sweep anything under the carpet. Every cedi must be accounted for.”

The final audit outcomes are expected to influence government policy on arrears clearance, guide future budget planning, and serve as the basis for stronger enforcement of compliance across the public sector.

Tags: Dr. Cassiel Ato ForsonGhana Audit ServicePricewaterhouseCoopers
NewsCenta

NewsCenta

Related Stories

Government interest DDEP

Government pays GH¢10 billion interest under DDEP

by Kojo Emmanuel
February 18, 2026
0

The Government of Ghana has settled about GH¢10 billion in interest payments to bondholders under the Domestic Debt Exchange Programme...

GRA UPSA

GRA pledges support to UPSA @60

by NewsCenta
February 17, 2026
0

A delegation from the University of Professional Studies, Accra (UPSA) has paid a courtesy call on the leadership of the...

24-Hour Secretariat BoG

24-Hour Secretariat engages BoG

by NewsCenta
February 17, 2026
0

The 24-Hour Economy Secretariat has held a high-level meeting with the Bank of Ghana to align the flagship policy with...

Pension assets Asiama

GH¢100bn pension assets now investible — Dr Asiama

by Elvis Darko
February 17, 2026
0

Pension fund assets in Ghana have now exceeded GH¢100 billion, underscoring their growing role as one of the largest pools...

Recommended

NDC Umar Sanda

NDC sacks Umar Sanda for Ayawaso East independent run

February 18, 2026
Mahama Agyebeng Mensa

Petitions against EC Chair and Special Prosecutor thrown out

February 18, 2026
Customer experience Blewett

Customer experience is topmost priority in 2026 — Blewett

February 18, 2026

Popular Story

  • Songs Daddy Lumba

    See the list of over 200 songs Daddy Lumba released

    752 shares
    Share 301 Tweet 188
  • The true story behind Ghana’s acceptance of deportees

    724 shares
    Share 290 Tweet 181
  • Gold-backed policies since 2021 driving economic gains — BoG

    718 shares
    Share 287 Tweet 180
  • Monday, May 26, 2025 Newspaper Headlines

    710 shares
    Share 284 Tweet 178
  • 10 of top 11 causes of death killing more men in Ghana

    705 shares
    Share 282 Tweet 176
NewsCenta

Newscenta is a Ghana-based news organisation publishing in print (The Newscenta Newspaper) and on a digital media platform (newscenta.com) dedicated to delivering timely and impactful news across various sectors, including politics, business, economy, technology, and culture.

  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Health
  • Education
  • Mining
  • Energy
  • Telecoms
  • Agriculture
  • Opinion
  • Newscenta Newspaper
  • Trade

© 2025 All Rights Reserved NewsCenta.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Politics
    • Local
    • World
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrities
    • Music
  • Lifestyle
  • Newspaper Headlines
  • Business
  • Agriculture
  • Education
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Opinion
  • Newscenta Newspaper

© 2025 All Rights Reserved NewsCenta.

Connect with us